Launching and Administering Your Surveys
NOTE: This article only applies to you if you have access to Panorama's survey creation tools. If you see an 'Admin' button on the top right-hand corner of your screen, then this article is for you! If not, please contact your Panorama team with any questions.
In this Article
- How to Launch a Survey
- Distributing Surveys
- How to Close a Survey
Launching your Surveys
Once you have selected your content and uploaded your roster file, if your surveys look ready, the last step is to "Approve the survey setup" to generate the surveys. This usually takes about a day. Launching your surveys allows Panorama to compile and prepare it for distribution to your students, staff or families. You'll get an email to let you know when surveys are ready to distribute!
To launch a survey:
- Click Admin, which you can find on the top right of your window. Then click the Surveys tab.
- If you have created and selected your survey content, you should have a draft survey ready to go.Click the draft survey you want to launch.
- If you have selected your survey content and uploaded your roster file successfully, you can Review & Approve to launch your survey.
- To approve your survey to launch, click Approve the survey setup at the bottom of the page.
- The platform reminds you that once you launch the survey, you will not be able to make any changes.
- If you are ready to approve your survey, click Approve survey setup. Otherwise, click Cancel to make changes. After you click Approve Survey Setup, it takes the platform about a day to launch a survey.
Our team will contact you if any errors were discovered during the creation process and a member of our team will work with you to address any issues. Please give yourself some buffer time between survey setup and distribution to make sure everything goes smoothly. You'll get an email to let you know when surveys are ready to distribute to survey takers!
You can easily distribute your student surveys by instructing your students to visit your unique school url and enter their access code. When selecting a way to distribute a survey, select the method you think will help you hear from as many respondents as possible. After you successfully launch your survey, you will be taken to a page where you can distribute your surveys in the following ways:
- How to Distribute a Survey via Email (no access codes required)
- How to Distribute a Survey via Link (access codes or Google single-sign on required)
Some suggestions to consider when distributing surveys for any method you select:
A few recommendations:
- Share a copy of the survey with your team: Educators who are proctoring a student survey may benefit from having a copy of the survey to refer to especially in distance/hybrid learning environments. Learn how to share a copy of the survey here.
- Check your response rates regularly: Not only will a high response rate lead to representative data, and more of it, but a higher response rate will also lower the risk of non-response bias. Non-response bias is the error resulting from distinct differences between the people who responded to a survey versus the people who did not respond. Learn how to monitor your response rates in platform.
- Give respondents 1-2 weeks to participate in the surveys: This survey window might be narrower if you define a very specific time for collecting responses - say a specific time of the day over the course of a few days or a week or a faculty meeting.
How to Distribute a Survey via Email
If you included respondent email addresses in your data file, you will have the option to email the respondent's surveys directly to them. This means that survey takers will not need to enter their access codes. The default setting for distributing surveys to families, teachers, and staff is always via email.
Note: If you would like to distribute your student surveys via email, we advise that you prepare your technology in advance and add our IP address and domains to your allow list to make sure your surveys are delivered in a timely manner when you are ready to begin your survey administration.
To distribute surveys via email:
- Click Admin, then click the Surveys tab.
- Surveys that you have launched appear as Active Surveys. Click the Active Survey you want to distribute to survey takers.
- On the page that displays the details for the active survey you select, click Email your survey.
The platform will inform you how many survey takers will receive the email based on the uploaded roster. If you included student email addresses in your data file, you will have the option to email the student surveys directly to students. This means that students will not need to enter their access codes.
Finally, you can do one of the following:
- Click Preview email to preview the standardized email Panorama sends to survey takers. Panorama’s standardized email includes information about confidentiality, why you are asking for feedback, and the custom survey link. Then, click Send surveys to email the survey using.
- Select the Use custom email text checkbox to type specific information in your survey distribution email. Click here for information about how to customize email text.
How to Distribute a Survey via Link
You can easily distribute your surveys by instructing your survey takers to visit your unique school url. You’ll find instructions and your unique url in the platform when your surveys are open and ready for distribution. There are two ways for respondents to login to surveys when they access it via link:
- With their access code. For students by default, the access code will be the student IDs you uploaded in your roster file, but if you aren't sure, you can use the green "Download one-time use access codes" button to get a list when creating your surveys.
- If you set up Google Single-sign on, students and teachers can login to the survey using their Google passwords and enter their access code. For more information on setting up Google single sign-on, click here.
To share a survey via link using access codes:
- Click Admin, then click the Surveys tab.
- Click on the Active Survey you want to distribute to survey takers. On the page that displays the details for the active survey you select, you will see the unique link created for your survey.
- Distribute the url and access codes as determined by your survey coordinator. For more resources for survey coordinators, click here.
- Survey takers can enter their unique access codes:
To share a survey via link using Google single sign-on:
- Copy and paste the unique survey url into an email, or share/post on your District’s Learning Management System, such as Google Classroom.
- When respondents click the link, the Google Sign-in appears.
- After they log in, they can access the available surveys.
- If they click Exit or the survey times out, they can enter an access code or their Google password to access the surveys again:
How to Close a Survey
Once you have reached the end of your survey window and determined that you are satisfied with your response rates, you are able to close your surveys! Results will only be available once you close your surveys, so that we can ensure full confidentiality of everyone's responses. You can learn how to Close a Survey in this next Panorama Article.