Monitoring and Optimizing Response Rates
Why Response Rates Matter
Not only will a high response rate lead to representative data, and more of it, but a higher response rate will also lower the risk of non-response bias. Non-response bias is the error resulting from distinct differences between the people who responded to a survey versus the people who did not respond. Response rates are also a good way to measure engagement and provide insight into overall respondent participation.
Monitoring Your Response Rates
To access the Response Rates Dashboard and your Completion Lists, please follow the simple steps outlined below:
- Once you've logged in, please select the district or school you wish to see your response rates for and click on the "Response Rates" tab on the top of your screen.
- Use the green "Choose a Survey" button to choose the relevant survey.
- From here, you'll see the percentage of responses for your surveys across all schools.
Navigating Completion Lists
If you want to see in more detail who has and hasn't taken their survey, you can use completion lists, available on the response rates dashboard. Completion lists are an Excel file with a full list of survey respondents, so you can see exactly who still needs to take their survey.
- From the Response Rates Dashboard, click on the grey "Download" button at the top-right hand side of the page. Click on the file you want below the "Completion Lists" header.
- Once you choose a survey, an Excel file will begin to download. This file will give you information about the respondents and the column labeled "Surveys completed?" have either TRUE (survey already completed) or FALSE (has not completed survey) values for the status of survey completion.
- Watch the video below for a visual of how to navigate your completion lists.
Optimizing Response Rates
Once you've checked your response rates, you're probably wondering what strategies you can use to improve responses to your survey.
Below you'll find surprisingly more detailed instructions and strategies on optimizing your response rates for specific respondent groups, as well as the most common questions we are asked by our partners is “How can we ensure a high response rate?” To answer this question, we’ve compiled a list of strategies used by our partner schools & districts that have proven to be most effective.