Frequently Asked Technical Questions about Back-to-School
Note: This page is intended for technical contacts who are managing the integration and set-up process with Panorama. You should have received direct communication from your Panorama team about the back-to-school process, and you should continue to reach out to them if you have any questions about your specific platform. If you are looking for general information about using Student Success for Back-to-School, please visit this page.
This page contains some of the most frequently asked questions about the technical process of switching over to the new school year in Student Success. This process is important because it allows you to control when we begin pulling in data for the new school year.
Technical Process Questions
- What date should I select for our Panorama platform to begin showing the new school year’s data?
- Panorama recommends selecting a date a few weeks before your first day of school so that users can begin planning for back to school using their new school year’s rosters. This date must be at least one day after your SIS has switched over to the new school year internally; please be sure to coordinate with your technology team when selecting this date. For further guidance, please reach out to your Panorama Project Manager or email@example.com.
- I selected a date on the Preparing for Back to School form but need to change it. What should I do?
- If you need to change one or more of the dates that you provided on the Preparing for Back to School form, please contact your Panorama Project Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible with the new date(s).
- Our district is changing a data system that we use over the summer. How should I let Panorama know?
- If your district is changing a data system that you have integrated with Panorama, such as your SIS or an assessment provider, please be sure to indicate this on the Preparing for Back to School form if you have not already done so. If you have already submitted this form and did not indicate that you will be switching systems, or if you have more questions, please contact your Panorama Project Manager or email@example.com.
- Our district is changing our data practices for next year. How should I let Panorama know?
- If your district is changing your data practices, such as switching to standards based grading or adding new grades, please be sure to indicate this on the Preparing for Back to School form if you have not already done so. If you have already submitted this form and did not indicate that you will be changing data practices, or if you have more questions, please contact your Panorama Project Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our district did not run state assessments until Spring 2022. What should I do?
- If your district has a state assessment integration included in your partnership with Panorama but did not previously have data available, please contact your Panorama Project Manager as soon as possible for next steps. If you are not sure whether this is included in your partnership, please reach out to your Panorama project team.
- Our district recently hired a new IT lead/SIS administrator/etc. who is not familiar with Panorama. What should I do?
- If your district recently hired a technical lead who will be assisting with your Panorama partnership, please introduce them to your Panorama Project Manager as soon as possible. Your Panorama team will work with the new contact to ensure they understand how we connect with your systems and equip them with the information necessary to switch the Panorama platform between school years.
- What should I do if I share data with Panorama via nightly SFTP?
- If you share data with Panorama via nightly SFTP (such as rostering, demographic, or assessment data), a member of Panorama’s team will be in contact with you in the coming weeks to discuss next steps we’ll need you to take to prepare for the new school year. If you have any questions in the meantime, please reach out to your Panorama Project Manager.
- What if I need to make changes such as remove or add an assessment, or update the schools integrated with Panorama?
- If you need to make any updates or removals please contact your Panorama Project Manager as soon as possible. Your Panorama team will ensure the necessary steps are communicated to your technical team to have updates ready for the Back to school switchover.
- What can I expect in the Student Success platform over the summer?
- Data in Student Success won't update over the summer - instead you'll see a snapshot of data from the end of the previous year. Once the new school year begins (on the date you select), you will begin seeing new data as it is added to your SIS or other linked systems. You can still use the features (groups, interventions, etc.) of Student Success to view and analyze data before the school year begins; after this, you will be able to toggle back to previous years to view past data on specific pages. Please note, Student Success does not support summer school sessions and will not appear in Success.
- What happens to my data from the last school year?
- After your SIS has switched, the platform will default to showing data from the new school year. The previous years’ data will be viewable in the year dropdown for any page where that’s an option. Your SEL data is available from after we switch over to the new school year however, your academic, attendance, and behavior data will filter in as soon as we start receiving data.
- What happens to my interventions?
- Interventions will continue to be available on a student’s profile. Once the new school year starts, you can toggle back to the previous year to see interventions from that year on a student’s profile. Interventions from previous years will not show up in the Interventions Summary, My Plans, or My Group Plans pages. Intervention data will continue to be filterable on the “Students” roster page. Once the new school year starts, you can toggle back to the previous year and use the “Intervention Plan” filters to identify students who had intervention plans in the previous year.
- What happens to my groups?
- Your groups will continue to be available on your Groups tab, including those that other educators have shared with you. After the new school year begins, you may notice that you no longer see certain students in your groups if your access to those students has changed (for example, if they have moved to a school you do not have access to or you no longer teach them). If you have access to none of the students in a group, you will no longer see that group.
- What happens to support notes?
- Support notes will continue to be available on a student's profile. Once the new school year starts, you can toggle back to the previous year to see support notes from that year on a student's profile. Support notes from previous years will no longer determine whether or not a student appears when certain filters are selected.
- What happens to the Behavior dashboard?
- The data in your Behavior Analytics dashboard will show the current year's data by default. The new school year will not have any data until we start receiving data from your data systems. Therefore the new year will start empty, and educators will have the ability to toggle back to the previous year.
- Can Check-Ins continue to be run during the summer based on a frozen roster (e.g. after we’ve stopped updating rosters for the year and are outside of an “academic session”)?
- Yes, Check-ins can be created and launched even after a school’s session export has ended. Thus, you can still use check-ins over the summer if the summer school students are staying at the same school as the previous academic year. Responses will still be received and displayed in your Check-in reports. These responses will get captured in the previous year check-in page. Any new students joining the district over the summer will not show up in the Panorama platform until the new academic year. Your district/school leader will keep you informed in terms of when the new academic year is set up.
- Do custom reports continue to exist after transitioning to a new school year?
- The data will be associated with the school where the student was enrolled on the last day of the school year. You will begin to see your new school year data once your SIS has switched over and data is available.
New Back to School Updates:
- The Students Roster View:
- The “Students” roster view in Student Success will update to show all current active students, including those who were in different schools in past years. When you click back to previous school years, you will be able to view the active student’s historical data such as Attendance, Behavior, Academics, even from students who have come in from other schools.
- Identifying students with past interventions:
- As a new update this Back To School, we will be enabling a way to identify all current students who had intervention plans in previous school years. Intervention data will be available as a filter on the “Students” roster page for all current students and even for students who were in a different school in the previous year. Once the new school year starts, you can toggle back to the previous year and use the “Intervention Plan'' filters to identify all students who had intervention plans in the previous year.
- Additional historic assessment data:
- Student Success will show additional assessment data for assessments that students took at their previous schools. This data will be available on subject area pages and in the assessment filters. The full history of a student’s assessments will continue to be available on the student’s profile.