How to Opt Out Students from Student Surveys
Students have the option to be opted out of any survey you are preparing to administer to your school and/or district.
In this article:
Educators with Admin access have ability to opt out students from a survey administration. Continue reading below to ensure the selected students are opted out of your survey.
- How to opt out your student(s) before a live survey
- How to opt out your student(s) during a live survey
- Frequently asked questions
NOTE: This section only applies to you if you have access to Panorama's survey creation tools. If you see 'Admin' in the dropdown of the Applications tab, towards the top right corner of your screen, then this section is for you! Otherwise, please reach out to your Panorama project team for more information.
Students can be opted out of a survey before a survey has been generated, after a survey has been generated, and while the survey window is live. To opt out student(s) from a survey, a roster file must be selected and uploaded for your survey administration within Panorama's survey creation tools (Figure 1.).
Opt out your student(s) before a live survey
After your survey content and roster file have been selected for your survey administration, Step 1. and 2. of Survey-Set up, you will be taken to Step 3. Review and approve your survey. By default, every student will be identified as a survey participant and only students who need to be opted out will require specific action. To opt out student(s) follow the below action steps:
- In Review opted out students, click View or edit opt outs (Figure 2.).
Search for your student(s):
2. In the View or edit opt outs page, search the student by name in the search box or scroll down to select the checkbox next to the students' name (Figure 3.).
3. Click the “Opt out student(s)” button to opt the student(s) out of survey participation (Figure 4.).
4. Review the status of the student(s), under the status column (Figure 5.).
NOTE: Opting out a student will not remove the student from the roster file, but will instead ensure that they do not receive a survey form. By leaving the student in the roster file, we are able to opt students back in if guardians/family members change their mind, or if a student was mistakenly opted out. By selecting either “All students”, “opted out only”, or “participants only”, you can review the list of students who will be participating in or have been opted out of the survey.
5. Click "Continue with participants" to proceed with your survey set up (Figure 6.).
Bulk opt out feature:
The bulk opt out feature is recommended if you have 10 or more students you wish to opt out of survey participation. This feature allows you to upload a roster file containing the student IDs of all students that will be opted out of the current roster.
1. Click the "Bulk opt out by file" button (Figure 7.).
2. Next, choose and upload your roster file. In your roster file, make sure that the Student ID is the only column in the file. An .xlsx template is available for you to download (Figure 8.).
2. Once you selected your file, select "Upload file" (Figure 9.).
3. Review the number of students and select "Out out students" (Figure 10.).
4. You will notice the uploaded students are noted as "Opted Out" in the status column (Figure 11.).
Students can be opted back into a survey by:
- Selecting the student(s) with the status “Opted Out”. You can reference the Status column or select the “opted out only” filter to identify the student(s) who have been opted out of the survey.
- Select “Opt student(s) back in” button at the bottom of the tool (Figure 12.).
Opt out your student(s) during a live survey
Students can be opted out or opted back into a survey during any stage of the surveying process. To opt out your student(s) during a live survey window:
- Go to your Admin page and click on the Surveys tab, to see a list of your "Active Surveys".
- Click the active Surveys you would like to edit (Figure 13.).
- Scroll down to Review opted out students, and click View or edit opt outs page (Figure 14.).
- Follow the above instructions to opt out the student(s) in your current roster.
Students who are opted out during a live survey window will immediately lose access to their survey link and access code. Students who are opted in during a live survey window will immediately be granted access to their survey link and access code. Your Report Rate Dashboard will reflect these changes as well.
Note: Opting in students does not allow for additional or new students to be added to your survey administration. Adding new students will require a mid-window roster upload. Please consult with your Panorama Project team if you would like to add new students to your survey.
- Can I opt a student out of all surveys?
- Students must be opted out of each individual survey at this time. Opting a student out of one survey will not automatically carry over to another survey.
- When can I opt a student out of a survey?
- Students can be opted out of a survey after the roster file has been uploaded to the survey. You can opt students out throughout the survey set-up, live survey window, and after the survey window has closed.
- If a user opts students out after the survey window has closed, a report refresh will be triggered for that survey administration so that the reports reflect the updated student participation. Reports may take up to 24 hours to reflect changes. To opt students out you can follow the same process as opting out during a live survey window
- Can I use the opt out functionality for Teacher Perception of Student (TPOS) or staff surveys?
- No. At this time, the opt outs functionality is specifically designed to support surveys where students are the respondents.
- Why don’t I see the opt out functionality?
- The Opt out functionality is available if you have access to Panorama's survey creation tools. If you see 'Admin' in the dropdown of the Applications tab in the top right corner of your screen, you will be able to access the Opt out functionality. Please reach out to our support team or your project team to ensure your correct level of access is granted.
- Additionally, Opt outs will be unavailable while surveys are being generated, so you may need to wait a few minutes for the survey generation to complete before making changes to student opt outs.
- What happens if I opt out a student who has already taken a survey?
- If a student is opted out after taking they have already responded to the survey, their response will not be included in reports.